"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on Can I make a compressed RAM drive and externally prepare a (pre-)compressed file to copy onto it?

Can I make a compressed RAM drive and externally prepare a (pre-)compressed file to copy onto it?

+3
−0

I don't know what these things are called exactly in the Linux world.

But there is the concept of a drive in RAM, to write files onto and read them like it was any disk drive. There is also the concept of an intrinsically compressed drive.

(Effective) compression takes time, of course. So I also wonder if there is such a thing to pre-compress a file externally to the system that has the compressed drive, and move it, e.g. coming from a network connection, onto the RAM drive without it taking time to compress. (Though I guess that compressed drives favor speed over level of compression, to be feasible at all?)

For the curious (and maybe because someone might tell me that I should ask a different question as this scenario drawn here is not a good way to do what I want):

The aim of this is: I have a machine with very limited storage (eMMC), and it is supposed to write a trimmed-down Linux image onto another machine it is connected to, and there is already a readily available program, geared towards doing that to the even smaller target machine. That program takes a typical image file.

I cannot hold the image on the storage of the "pushing" machine. But what if I made a RAM drive and kept a compressed Linux image in it, loaded from external connection for this event, and pointed the mentioned available flashing program to that file. The Linux image would not fit, uncompressed, in the RAM - but compressed, it probably will, at least with usual zip settings, which are, I guess, better than a drive for "live" stuff.

I could write a modified flasher program and do decompression myself. But if the same thing actually was only a few standard Linux commands away from working, why do it myself. (And also, learning new things that Linux can do, if it can do them, is always good.)

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

2 comment threads

An alternative approach (2 comments)
ramfs (1 comment)
ramfs
Canina‭ wrote over 2 years ago · edited over 2 years ago

What other OSes sometimes call a "RAM disk" or a "RAM drive" is called a ramfs or RAM file system in Linux. Assuming that support is available in the running kernel, sudo mount -t ramfs none /some/mountpoint gives you one. (The none is just an artefact of how ramfs in particular works. The mount command needs a device, but for ramfs the backing device is implied by the file system type. Other file system types that work similarly in this regard are tmpfs and procfs.) There is also tmpfs which works very similarly but can utilize swap, which ramfs won't. (In general, if you find yourself choosing between tmpfs and ramfs, you probably want tmpfs unless you have a good reason to use ramfs.)