Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on Which Linux system to use?

Parent

Which Linux system to use?

+9
−10

Usually, many new users are confused when it comes to deciding which Linux to use. After trying out some distros, they don't know which one to use next. Which Linux is for beginners, intermediates and professionals?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

Well, what are your needs? It sounds like you've used a few distros before, so what do you think abou... (1 comment)
−0

Beginners should always start with a Linux that people around them are using. If they have friends using Red Hat, they should use Red Hat. If they have a local users' group with lots of Ubuntu users, they should use Ubuntu.

Local support is much more important than anything else when starting out with a new OS.

One stops being a beginner when one starts to experiment with other distributions, considering them on their own merits.

There are no "Advanced" Linux distributions, there are only general and specialized distributions.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

This is my basic approach as well, though I've always suggested finding a Linux mentor from the get-g... (1 comment)
This is my basic approach as well, though I've always suggested finding a Linux mentor from the get-g...
dmckee‭ wrote over 2 years ago

This is my basic approach as well, though I've always suggested finding a Linux mentor from the get-go. User groups are always a good place to find that kind of support, but also work colleagues who are trying to motivate more linux use, as are your instructors for computer using tasks where linux is helpful and similar contacts.