"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on Internet connection and touchpad not working on Ubuntu 22.04 after a force shut down

Internet connection and touchpad not working on Ubuntu 22.04 after a force shut down

+3
−0

After a force shutdown on Ubuntu 22.04, installed on a Lenovo Legion 5, the OS seems to have lost its ability to recognize the built-in touchpad or to connect to the internet.

For the backstory...

The computer was suspended. I went to go wake it up. The power button light indicated that it was awake, but nothing was responding and the screen remained black. Pressing the power button again did nothing, and plugging it in did nothing.

I'd been having issues with the graphics driver, so I assumed that had crashed. I gave it a few minutes to see if anything would happen, but a few minutes later there was no change in status, and I was in a rush because I needed my computer to run stuff for business things. I force shut down the computer by holding down the power button and then rebooted it.

Upon reboot, I discovered that the internet was not working on the device and that the touchpad wasn't working. The mouse wouldn't respond at all.
Since I was in a rush, I shut down the computer again (using the keyboard) and booted up Windows instead. The touchpad and the internet connection worked on Windows just fine.

A few hours later, I booted into Ubuntu again and encountered the same problems. Before all of this, before I had suspended the computer initially, I may have had the touchpad disabled (using the keyboard shortcut for that) because I was doing some keyboard-only use for an accessibility course (I'm fairly experienced on that front but I figured I'd give it a whirl anyway).
Back to later, using the terminal and xinput, I found out that Ubuntu wasn't recognizing that the touchpad existed at all. I did try to reenable it using the keyboard shortcut, but that didn't work, and I couldn't find anything in the settings to enable the mouse.
When I got home, I attached it to an Ethernet connection and tried to run repair packages in recovery mode, but it still wasn't connecting to the internet despite the wired connection and me running the "enable networking" option in recovery mode beforehand.

On a live boot of Ubuntu 20.04, the networking and the touchpad work as expected. I was able to run xinput from my 22.04 filestyem via the 20.04 boot, and the outcome was normal (i.e. my touchpad was recognized), and I verified that the touchpad was set to "enabled". However, upon booting up into the 22.04 system, it still wasn't working.

Is there anything I can do to possibly fix these issues, or is the OS corrupted and I just have to back up my files and reinstall Ubuntu?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

Live env? (2 comments)
Live env?
matthewsnyder‭ wrote 9 months ago

Since it works on Windows, it must not be a hardware issue. Next step would be, is it your config or Ubuntu itself. To settle that, what happens with an Ubuntu LiveCD?

Mithical‭ wrote 9 months ago

I've edited with a bit about a live boot, matthewsnyder‭ - but it's worth noting that everything was working fine on the 22.04 system before the force shutdown, so something was evidently corrupted during that process.

Skipping 1 deleted comment.