"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on How do I fix a "FrankenDebian"?

How do I fix a "FrankenDebian"?

+1
−0

I'm trying to help fix a Debian installation that has ended up with a mix of Debian release repositories, aka a "FrankenDebian". This one has the bullseye and unstable repositories listed in /etc/apt/sources.list, if I recall correctly, where bullseye is currently the stable release. (I'm not in front of that computer right now; will edit if those details were wrong.) I've seen a lot of warnings about this kind of situation and the kinds of horrible dependency conflicts it will cause, but I'm not entirely sure how to get out of it.

The best I've found so far is https://gist.github.com/christianbundy/0d982648cbfe3dd4350cee8ab9e53828 but it's a little lacking in "guardrails"; I'd like to make sure that I can restore this system to working order without having to (say) reimage the disk. I know there's a way to get a list of installed packages and versions, and maybe even the cached .deb files, but restoring from that probably has its own pitfalls.

So, what procedure should I use that will allow me to get the system to a working state, but will also be amenable to backing off and trying again later?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

3 comment threads

Current stable release (1 comment)
Fresh install might not be bad (1 comment)
It's been a while since I used Debian, but what if you simply: * Ask `apt` to export a list of pac... (1 comment)
Current stable release
Grove‭ wrote 10 months ago

You posted this question early on 12 June (UTC), and 12 June was the day Bookworm was released, so when you posted Bullseye was still the current stable release, but a few hours later it wasn't anymore.

And on the topic: There's no one way that will get any system out of a broken state (and I consider a Frankendebian a broken state), and no one target that is suitable for everybody. If it's only bullseye and unstable it might not be too hard to get it to a pure unstable system, but that would be unacceptable to many (including me).