"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on USB host: any special kernel option(s) needed to detect Gadget devices?

USB host: any special kernel option(s) needed to detect Gadget devices?

+0
−0

I have

• a custom, ARM Cortex A53 based Linux system, based on Buildroot
  • one RaspberryPi CM3 module, connected to the other system via USB

The USB gadget is correctly set up on the CM3 module - if I connect it, over an adapter board, to a Raspi4, the Raspi4, as a USB host, discovers the CM3 gadget and I can communicate over the "usb0" network device. between the two.

This currently does not work when the CM3 is connected to the Buildroot-based machine. That one doesn't detect anything.

While I am reading "everywhere" that, for this to work, it does not depend on host side setup, only on the gadget device being properly set up, I am skeptical in this instance, because this trimmed-to-size Buildroot based Linux image is not your run off the mill Linux that will likely fulfill all usual expectations.

So - does somebody know for sure? Is there anything that might need setting up on the host side with buildroot / kernel options, to make this work?`

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

So, your question is,"your system can't detect USB. Why?",isn't it? (5 comments)
So, your question is,"your system can't detect USB. Why?",isn't it?
deleted user wrote over 2 years ago

So, your question is,"your system can't detect USB. Why?",isn't it? If Yes! Than, maybe I could write an answer

sktpin‭ wrote over 2 years ago · edited over 2 years ago

The gadget device seems special & this is a stripped down Linux for "embedded". My question: Is there a special (e.g.kernel or anywhere) configuration for gadget device support, or not?

If it was universally true that "all USB" on any Linux host is either on or not, i.e. the "gadget" support cannot possibly be disabled separately in any way, I could exclude this branch of investigation.

Btw, "lsusb" is useless on BusyBox based Linux (my host), it's crippled, like most diagnostic commands.

deleted user wrote over 2 years ago

sktpin‭ ohh! I had heard of busybox earlier. It's too hard. So, I don't know what ur answer is.

sktpin‭ wrote over 2 years ago

I still don't know the definite answer myself - but I got it to the point of seeing in dmesg that the host detects the gadget, with other hardware (thre may be a defect). Unfortunately it does not create a network adapter from it / assigns IP (I opened a new question for that)

Skipping 1 deleted comment.