"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on Why does the file command fail to recognize non-text files as such?

Why does the file command fail to recognize non-text files as such?

+3
−0

POSIX defines

• Text file as

A file that contains characters organized into zero or more lines. The lines do not contain NUL characters and none can exceed {LINE_MAX} bytes in length, including the <newline> character.

• Line as

A sequence of zero or more non- <newline> characters plus a terminating <newline> character.

• Character as

A sequence of one or more bytes representing a single graphic symbol or control code.

Consider then six files, each with two bytes, created with these Printf commands (using octals):

printf "\101\012" > file1 #A<newline>
printf "\010\012" > file2 #<backspace><newline>
printf "\101\101" > file3 #AA
printf "\200\012" > file4
printf "\200\200" > file5
printf "\000\012" > file6 #<null><newline>

Now, in the UTF-8 encoding, the octal 012 (0x0A) is the newline character, 101 (0x41) is the graphic symbol A, 010 (0x08) is the backspace control character and 200 (0x80) is a continuation byte that never occurs as the first byte of a multi-byte sequence, so it does not form a valid character.

Hence, I would regard files 1 and 2 as text files, but the remaining as non-text files, because file 3 is not newline terminated, files 4 and 5 have an invalid character and file 6 contains a null byte.

However, the file command does not seem to completely agree with me; it lists files 3, 4 and 5 as text files,

$ file --mime-type file*
file1: text/plain
file2: text/plain
file3: text/plain
file4: text/plain
file5: text/plain
file6: application/octet-stream

Why does the file command fail to identify files 3, 4 and 5 as non-text files (I'm assuming it can't possibly be a bug) even though I use en_US.UTF-8 as my locale, or else what did I incorrectly understand?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (6 comments)
General comments
Moshi‭ wrote almost 3 years ago · edited almost 3 years ago

Why don't you consider 3,4, and 5 as text files? 3 fist the definitions given. I'm not quite sure about 4 and 5, but my first guess would be that they just didn't put that much error checking into it (0x80 is a valid continuation byte, so it can appear in valid text files)

Quasímodo‭ wrote almost 3 years ago · edited almost 3 years ago

@Moshi True, I said 0x80 was straightforwardly invalid but it is not. Still, it cannot be the first byte of a valid character. It forcefully follows that neither file 4 nor file 5 are newline terminated or that they have an invalid character. File 3 is also not newline terminated (even in ASCII encoding).

Moshi‭ wrote almost 3 years ago

They don't have to be newline terminated. A newline termination defines a line, yes, but a text file can have zero lines.

celtschk‭ wrote almost 3 years ago

Note that file is not a POSIX utility; the question it answers is not “does this conform to POSIX's idea of what is a text file” but “is this file likely to contain human-readable text”.

Quasímodo‭ wrote almost 3 years ago

@Moshi But then any kind of file would be a text-file, since you could say it contained zero lines. Even a file with a NUL would be a text-file. Instead, I interpret that if the file contains non-lines, then it is not a text-file. In that sense, an empty text file would be the only case for which "zero lines" apply.

Quasímodo‭ wrote almost 3 years ago

@celtschk Well, file is POSIX specified, so I would suppose it conformed to POSIX idea of what a text-file is.